Ginger Cake with Cinnamon Port Roasted Pineapple and Caramel Sauce
Yield: 8 servings
Ginger Cake (Makes 9” cake with 8 slices of cake)
4 tsp Ground ginger
2 tsp Cinnamon
250ml Blackstrap molasses
250ml Boiling water
2 tsp Baking soda
2 Large eggs
Pineapple Spears (Makes 16 spears 2 spears per slice of cake)
16 Sun Rich Pineapple Spears
4oz Apple Juice
2 tbsp Brown sugar
1 tbsp Butter
½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
500ml Whipping cream
200g Brown sugar
Fresh mint leaves
Ginger Cake Baking Method:
Ginger Cake Method:
- In a large mixing bowl whisk – flour, ginger, cinnamon until blended.
- Beat butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer, until pale and fluffy.
- Whisk molasses and boiling water in another large bowl and add baking soda. Mixture will bubble up and expand.
- Add flour and molasses mixture to butter mixture, alternating dry and wet ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Beat in eggs until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan and bake at 350F for approx 55 – 65 minutes.
Pineapple Spears Method:
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add 16 Sun Rich pineapple spears, toss gently and lay spears out on a baking sheet.
- Roast in pre-heated oven at 385F for approx 8 -12 minutes or until golden on edges.
- Serve warm on ginger cake.
Caramel Sauce Method:
- Bring sugar, cream and butter to a boil in a heavy based sauce pan over medium heat.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 10-15 minutes over low heat or until sauce coats the back of a spoon.