The privacy of our employees, customers, and the general public is very important to us. It is also important to us that you understand the purposes for which we collect personal information and our approach to consent.
Our privacy practices are consistent with Canada’s federal privacy legislation, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). This legislation also fills Canada’s international obligations for privacy legislation as well.
What is personal information?
The definition of “personal information” is quite broad and generally includes any information about an identifiable individual. It does not include the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization. For example, sharing an employee’s home phone number with a customer is not ok; sharing the office number of a broker representative with a distributor customer is.
Why do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information to manage and develop our business and operations, including personnel and employment matters; and to meet legal and regulatory requirements.
These two general purposes include the following specific purposes for which we collect
personal information about our employees:
- To manage, develop and retain a highly-skilled, professional, and productive workforce that supports our business success. For example, we collect personal information about employees to make staffing and employee development decisions, to measure and reward performance, and to assess our ability to meet our business objectives.
- To administer compensation and benefits programs. For example, we collect and record personal information to administer automatic payroll deposits, manage our benefits programs and report pay and compensation information as required by the government.
- To support the personal health and well-being of employees. For example, Sun Rich collects personal information when providing various health services to employees, such as medical assessment, and return to work assistance. All health-related information collected by Sun Rich in the course of providing theses services is treated as highly confidential.
- To provide a safe and respectful workplace as required by law and Sun Rich policies. For example, we keep records of safety incidents, hazardous occurrences, accidents and injury reports in order to provide a safe work environment and comply with the law.
- To protect and manage corporate assets. For example, we monitor employee use of our networks (e-mail and Internet).
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements. For example, we report pay and compensation information as required by the government.
When do we disclose personal information?
There are a variety of circumstances in which we disclose some personal information about employees.
Here are some examples:
- To administer compensation and benefits programs, we disclose employee information to financial institutions, insurance providers, government departments and agencies such as the Canada Revenue Agency (formerly Revenue Canada).
- To administer personal health and well-being programs, we disclose personal information to the BC Workers’ Compensation Board, ON Workplace’ Safety Insurance Board or health professionals.
- When required by law, or contractual obligations, we may disclose employee personal information to HRDC, creditors or the Provincial Human Rights Commissions.
How do we protect personal information?
All personal information is collected in a fair and non-intrusive manner, with your voluntary consent. Personal information is not accessible to anyone outside the specific function for which it is collected. Sun Rich respects the privacy of our customers, employees, job applicants, and other visitors to our websites who may choose to provide personal information. We recognize the need for appropriate precautions and management of personal information that you provide us. In order to protect your personal information and your right to privacy, Sun Rich:
- will not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than those identified above, except with your consent;
- will protect your personal information with appropriate security safeguards;
- will protect the confidentiality of your personal information when dealing with other companies;
- will strive to keep your personal information as accurate and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes identified above; and
- will respond to any request you may make for access to your personal information.
The acceptance of employment and benefits by an employee is viewed as consent for Sun Rich to collect, use, and disclose personal information about the employee for the purposes identified above.
The new privacy legislation gives employees the right to withdraw consent, at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. This right protects employees from having their personal information collected unnecessarily or for an unreasonable purpose.
Sun Rich views the purposes identified in this statement as reasonable and necessary to manage our business effectively. Therefore, Sun Rich will continue to collect, use and disclose personal information for these purposes. However, you may choose to withhold some personal information by not participating in optional programs, such as the Employee Benefit Program.
How do I find out more information?
You may also seek advice from the following resources:
- BC employees can contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for BC at: 1-250-356-1851
- Ontario employees can contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at: 1-800-282-1376
You may contact the Privacy Officer to access, correct or delete your personal information. If appropriate, the Privacy Officer may contact another employee(s) to assist in completing your request.
If you have any questions or concerns about Sun Rich privacy practices, contact our Privacy Officer, Leanne Johnson, Vice President of Human Resources, at 1-800-661-0087, 4703 or email at email@example.com or at the following address:
Sun Rich Fresh Foods Inc.
22151 Fraserwood Way
Richmond, BC V6W 1J5